Ban on Assault Rifles, Limits on Ammunition Magazine Capacity, & Increased Background Checks
(Sherman Oaks, CA) Governor Brown signed sweeping gun control legislation passed by the Legislature in the wake of too many senseless mass shootings. California has taken decisive action because the Republican-lead Congress refuses to stand up to the NRA and pass common sense gun control.
“Common sense gun control has bi-partisan support,” stated Assemblymember Nazarian. “Sadly, our Republican-lead Congress would rather cower in fear from the NRA than stand up and pass sensible legislation that protects our friends, family, and children. In California, we will not be bullied by the NRA.”
The common sense gun control bills are:
- Ammunition sales:Requires an ID and background check to purchase ammunition and creates a new state database of ammunition owners.
- Large ammunition clips:Bans possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets.
- Bullet buttons:Two proposals would strengthen California’s assault weapon law by outlawing a small buttonhole used for quickly swapping out ammunition magazines.
- Limit on gun loans:A new restriction on loaning guns without background checks.
- False gun reporting:A new punishment for falsely reporting guns as stolen.
- Gun research:Urges Congress to lift the prohibition against publicly funded scientific research on the causes of gun violence and its effects on public health.
“I am proud to have helped champion common sense gun control and hope California continues to be a model for America,” stated Assemblymember Nazarian.
Adrin Nazarian represents the 46th Assembly District, serving the San Fernando Valley communities of Hollywood Hills, Lake Balboa, North Hills, North Hollywood, Panorama City, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Toluca Lake, Valley Glen, Universal City, Van Nuys, and Valley Village.